Labor studies graduates reflect on their undergraduate experience and hopes for the future

This story kicks off our 2024 Labor Studies Commencement Stories series

Lesly Ayala | May 30, 2024

As commencement grows closer, three graduates reflect on their experience at UCLA as labor studies majors and how this field of study has influenced their activism and future prospects. These students were nominated to speak at the upcoming Labor Studies Commencement Ceremony. 

Students shared their favorite labor studies memory, their proudest accomplishments, their future goals and a special dedication to those who have helped them along the way. 

Students shared their reflections below. Their responses were edited for length and clarity. 

Matthew Royer (he/him/his)

My favorite memory while in Labor Studies was during the Fall of 2023 when I took Labor Studies 168 with Chris Newman. Never in a class before had I felt so invited to discuss the issues of today’s world alongside my peers while being guided by an expert. While the debate was a part of the course, each week felt like engaging with our UCLA community and the class became the highlight of my quarter.

My proudest accomplishments: I got to teach my own seminar in the department, LBR STD 88S – American Pastimes: Labor Organizing Efforts and Professional Baseball, in Spring 2024, and I was able to report on the on-campus unions working at the Daily Bruin as its National News & Higher Education editor.

After graduation: I will be attending the University of Southern California’s Annenberg School to receive an M.S. in Journalism, where I will focus on labor and business reporting. I hope to use the skills I learned at UCLA to further the world’s knowledge of workers’ struggles.

Dedication: I’d like to thank Dr. Caroline Luce for all the help and guidance she’s given me as my faculty mentor, as well as my friends and family for the support they’ve provided me during my educational journey.

Katelynn Garmendia (she/her/hers)

A favorite memory was in Professor Wong’s Labor Studies 10 – Introduction to Labor and Workplace Studies class. Thanks to his amazing research and the powerful testimonies he shared, I was able to dig into my own family history and found that my grandfather was part of the Bracero Program during the mid-1950s. I discovered my grandfather was recruited as a teenager to work under hazardous and treacherous conditions, and all under very discriminatory practices. I didn’t want his story to be forgotten so I decided to use his testimony for the “Opportunity 4 All” Campaign because I believe that all people across the immigration spectrum deserve to be heard.

My proudest accomplishment: To be able to represent my family at both #1 public universities, UCLA and UC Berkeley. I transferred from Berkeley to UCLA as a freshman, which was very difficult because there weren’t that many resources for me. As a first-generation college student and Latina, our very presence breaks barriers. Recently, I got accepted to UCLA’s Masters of Legal Studies Program with multiple scholarships and I am more than excited to attend in the fall and continue breaking these barriers with my presence.

I am honored to have been accepted into UCLA’s Masters of Legal Studies Program which I will be attending in the fall. I also plan on applying to a JD program shortly thereafter to further advance in my law career.

Dedication: First, I give thanks to God for every accomplishment because all things are made possible through Him. I’m also grateful for the two most important women in my life, my mom and grandma. They are my love and honor, and the main reason why I’m here and able to succeed.

Breanna Ivette Maldonado (she/her/hers)

One of my most cherished moments from labor studies was when my professor, Caroline Luce, led our class in a discussion about grassroots organizing. Her passion and dedication to labor rights through UC AFT inspired me to become more actively involved in community organizing, fighting for my own, igniting a sense of purpose that continues to drive me today.

When attending a class session where guest speaker Rosemarie Molina discussed the challenges faced by Amazon workers, her powerful words and the subsequent vigil (the vigil was organized to raise awareness of the unsafe working conditions at Amazon) at Jeff Bezos’ place near UCLA has allowed me to fight alongside workers needing justice. There is nothing better than looking to your left and right and seeing worker justice being met with the unity of workers.

I’m grateful for: The opportunity to serve in the United States Army National Guard while dedicating myself to community service and my education. Advocating for bills like Assembly Bill 701 (the bill regulated warehouse performance metrics to make work safer) has been a huge privilege. Spearheading initiatives like unionizing efforts at Amy’s Kitchen with the Teamsters and organizing a food distribution event in Compton for over 1,100 folks have brought me immense fulfillment. Holding titles such as Miss Compton 2023 and serving on the executive board of a Labor Council in Los Angeles has underscored the importance of collective action, for which I give thanks to God.

After graduation: I am committed to continuing my journey as a relentless advocate for workers’ rights and educating forward. I aspire to leverage my experiences and education to effect systemic change, whether through policy advocacy, grassroots organizing, or community outreach. My ultimate goal is to contribute to a more just and equitable society for all, as I fight alongside trabajadores like my pops.

Dedication: I dedicate my journey to the unsung heroes of labor—those like my father, who work rigorous jobs with no protection, often facing exploitation and injustice. And to those like my mother, who learned English to defend her family through these challenges. Their resilience inspires me to fight for all workers. And to everyone who has helped me, I am truly grateful. Estoy bendecida.

The Labor Studies Commencement Ceremony will take place on Saturday, June 15. UCLA Labor Studies is an interdepartmental major and minor. The major is the first of its kind at the University of California.