Labor Summer Research Program
UCLA Labor Summer Research Program
Workers and Learners in Los Angeles County
Program Dates: Summer Session B – 3 weeks (07/17 to 08/04), Summer Session C – 3 weeks (08/07 to 08/25)
Schedule: Mondays from 10am–1:50pm, plus two Wednesday classes in Weeks 1 and 6
Description: Students engage in applied research focused on social, economic, and the political context of workers and learners, or students who attend college in Los Angeles County and also work at the same time. The research will explore how working students navigate barriers and opportunities in fulfilling their academic, career, and life goals. Students will be trained on research design, surveys and interview fielding, data analysis, presenting research to audiences, and writing of findings.
- This program will be taught in-person on campus.
- 8 units of course credit are valid for upper division credit; can also be used towards the Labor Studies or related field (first check with departmental advisor).
- This program fulfills the Labor Studies Major Capstone Requirement.
- Financial aid is available to qualified UCLA undergraduate students. All other students should inquire about financial aid at their home institution.
- This program is open to all UC and non-UC undergraduates and graduates.
For an estimate of your summer fees for academic courses, select student category and the total number of units. The Labor Summer Research Program is 8 units. To calculate the estimated tuition, please visit: http://summer.ucla.edu/fees
Priority deadline: March 31, 2023 (UCLA students applying for Summer Financial Aid)
General deadline: May 31, 2023
Submit your Application: HERE
For more information, please contact Student Affairs Officer, Gloria Chan at email@example.com
LSRP Reports through the years:
- 2021 – Back to the “New Normal”: Workers and Learners Navigate Campus and Workplace Reopening
- 2020 – Earners and Learners during a global pandemic and social uprising
- 2019 – Earners and Learners in Los Angeles County
- 2017 – Ride Sharing or Ride Stealing? Working Gig Economy in Los Angeles
- 2014 – Working L.A.: Young Workers in Global Los Angeles
LSRP Reports in the News:
For media inquiries, please contact: Citlalli Chávez at firstname.lastname@example.org
UCLA study reveals challenges to student workers amid return to campus, Daily Bruin, November 30, 2021
Employers, schools should do more to support working college students, report says, UCLA Newsroom, Nov 5, 2020
Workers and Learners’ Experiences in Los Angeles County, LA Social Science, Aug 28, 2020
LSRIP students present their research at Earners and Learners Gallery Walk, UCLA IRLE, Sep 9, 2019
LSRIP Students Share Research on “Earners & Learners” in LA County, UCLA IRLE, Sep 18, 2018