The 2020 Program: Community Scholars: Organizing for Schools and Democracy in Los Angeles
The 2020 UCLA Community Scholars, in partnership with the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies and the Center for Community Learning, will explore the practice and meaning of community schools in Los Angeles. The recent teachers’ strikes resulted in a commitment from the district to establish a set of community schools. The movement for community schools envisions educators joining together with youth and community members to identify and address their shared needs and democratically determine their collective future. Los Angeles requires such collective public action now more than ever because unbridled market forces, and anti-democratic national leadership combine to threaten immigrant families, weaken neighborhoods, and create new strains on critical social institutions.
Seminar participants will include: UCLA graduate, undergraduate students, teachers, organizers, parents, as well as members of organized labor, civic associations, and community-based organizations who work for democracy and educational justice in greater Los Angeles.
Apply today & join us on this exciting journey!
Program Information & Take Aways:
- The Community Scholars Program is free to participants but you must apply (link to form below)
- Dinner will be provided during each class session
- Community Scholars receive free access to UCLA resources, including certain courses, library privileges as well as access to UCLA facilities
- Courses will be taught by UCLA professors, John Rogers & Lorena Guillen & Community Scholars instructor, Rudy Gonzalves (Education, Director at LAANE)
- Community Scholars receive formal recognition for advanced research work in the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies.
- Community Scholars collaborate with community advocates and activists from across Los Angeles
- 2019 | One People Curriculum
- 2014 | Envisioning Greener LA
- 2015 | Strategies for Economic Survival
- 2013 | Public Health Pop-Up Fair
Calendar & Schedule:
|Deadline for Community Scholar Applications||November 27, 2019|
|Community Scholar Notification of Acceptance||December 11, 2019|
|Winter Quarter dates
Spring Quarter dates
|January 8- March 18, 2020
April 1- June 10, 2020
|Awards and Celebration||Date & Time TBA|
|Day, Time & Location||Wednesdays, 6:00 – 9:00 PM
UCLA Downtown Labor Center
675 S. Parkview Street, LA 90057